Monday, February 22, 2016

White Picket Fence


White Picket Fence

 

I get a familiar excited feeling when I see the white picket fence. It was the sign as a child that we were literally around the corner from my grandparent’s house. It was the moment of the car ride my brother and I would squeal with delight.  I enter the house and am instantly greeted with hugs and an invitation to “sit down and have a warm drink.”

I always feel the same way in their home, relaxed and at peace. I’m not sure if it is because of my grandparents’ presence, the familiar environment, or the non-cluttered simplicity that helps free my mind from distractions. Maybe it is all of those things.

I’m not sure if it is because I’ve returned after some time away but on this visit  everywhere I look I see memories from my childhood; the basement my cousins and I played in , sidewalks I rode my bike on, the porch where we all put on our Sunday best to take photos on Easter.

I smell a faint scent of ivory soap as I sit with my grandparents having a cup of coffee in their small kitchen. My life has taken me across the country and while I am excited about future adventures, there will also be a need to return to a place that feels like home. In a world constantly evolving, we must not overlook the beauty of things that can remain unchanged.

No comments:

Post a Comment