Saturday, June 1, 2019

My Stretch Zone Experience: Yes, I Paid Someone To Help Me Stretch.




After a 1000m row I walk into Stretch Zone tired feeling tight. Kenny welcomes me and has me lay on the table.


The tables have straps that keep clients on the table, helping them keep from trying to "help" with the stretch and overcompensating, and allowing pinpointing of specific muscles. Having someone else stretch you helps you relax into the stretch . I was told when I signed up for my free session that a  stretch practitioner can stretch you farther than you are capable of doing yourself. The stretch practitioners  are certified in the technique by attending a 60 hour training with founder Jordan Gold and passing a test.

Kenny pulls a blue belt across my waist and clips it . He lifts my left leg straight to the sky. He then pulls my leg across my body to stretch my IT Band. He stretches in this direction asking me to give him three numbers so he knows when to stop each time:


A 3: When starting to feel the stretch

A 5: When feeling a mild stretch

A 7: When feeling a Deep Stretch



I tell him I’ve had a slight pain in my knee and he tells me the IT band is a tendon that can tighten and pull on the kneecap, causing a mis-alignment. He also mentions that my piriformis is very tight. The piriformis is a small muscle located deep in the buttock, behind the gluteus maximus. When I’ve had massages the therapist has worked on this area by placing their elbow and then pressing their weight down, which is surpassingly painful. The stretch-method is definitely a better alternative for this .


Kenny moves me through a series of stretches , moving my legs in all different directions, having me twist to once side and pressing to deep the stretch and stretching my shoulders back to open up my chest and help reverse too much time in front of a computer . We do stretches using a bolster on the edge of the table to help open up my hips , another spot tight from too much sitting. All I need to do is relax and breathe . The hardest part is trying to not "help".


I get up at the end of the 30 Minutes and my body feels lighter. I feel relaxed yet energized. Packages can be pricey at about $35 a session but some that tried the therapy have been able to get back relief they haven’t been able to get from other methods. Some think it is a placebo.

I think that it does help but there are other alternatives if the price is too steep. Restorative yoga is amazing for opening the hips , helping posture and helping  stretch tight areas. Using a yoga strap I am not able to stretch exactly the same as Kenny stretched me but it really helps loosen me up after a workout or sitting too long. Many personal trainers and massage therapists are knowledgeable about assisted stretching so it is good to ask if they can incorporate into your workout or massage.

This experience definitely taught me more about areas I was holding tightness and was a good reminder that I needed to take more time for stretching. First session at Stretch Zone and many similar companies are free If you are unsure but curious. Whether a desk -jockey or cross-fitter, stretching can help reduce stress, stiffness, and soreness.




Additional Viewpoints on Assisted Stretching : 
https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19700990/assisted-stretching-worth-it-boutique-fitness-classes/ https://www.prevention.com/health/a20517813/professional-stretching-review/


Source :

https://www.stretchzone.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment